The tree lies at the heart of all tribal cultures. The anglo-saxon word “treow” means both ‘tree’ and ‘truth’. The cherokee indians called trees ‘Standing people’ who provided witness for contracts between people from marriages, to pledges.
Inspired by the folk tale of king midas And the ass’s ears, I produced a series of twelve etchings and large format (50 X 70cm) charcoal drawings.
The new works imagine the trees listening to, and mirroring our thoughts, whispering back to us with their leaves in the wind. A leaf-message on the pavement is as unnoticed as our own need for connection in a progressively disconnected world.
I spent many hours at Hippo Screenprinters experimenting with etching plates for the project under the watchful eye of co-owner Lynne Blackburn
After a successful series of artist proofs were printed, Lynne and I printed scores of leaves with messages using a non toxic water-based ink:
And I distributed these leaves across city spaces. It was a great feeling knowing that 99% of these leaves would not be seen, but hopefully that 1% just might connect with the person in some way.
I sent cards to Artfinder and selected galleries
Coinciding with a six page feature in issue #3 of Inside Artists
Framing available on request - at £50 per frame.
With massive thanks to Lynne Blackburn at Hippo Screenprinters for her time and willingness to have some fun (mostly!)